Rewarded For Reuse ... And Partnership - Limited Brands Shows Commitment to the Environment Again
May 13, 2009
In recognition of its partnership with local non-profits, employees and vendors, and our commitment to recycling and reuse, Limited Brands was awarded with the 2009 Emerald Award for Partnership. The award, given by SWACO, the Solid Waste Authority of Central Ohio, is the second for the company.
This year's honor was based on Limited Brands' successful partnerships formed from recycling and reuse initiatives. In 2008, Limited Brands recycled or reused 84% of all waste materials which were generated by, or processed through, our Columbus, OH, distribution centers and home office locations.
In all, the company reused approximately 10 million pounds of materials that would have otherwise ended up in a landfill. Our reuse stream was managed through the following partnerships and programs:
- Central Ohio non-profit groups including: Waste Not Center, Martin Janis Center and Habitat for Humanity's Restore - 38,000 pounds
- Limited Brands' annual associate sale - 4.2 million pounds
- Sell-offs to packaging clearinghouse vendor - 75,000 pounds
- Reuse through personal care product store returns program - 131,000 pounds
- Wood pallet fulfillment program - 5.3 million pounds
- Victoria's Secret Pink "Recycle Your Sweats" clothing drive - 14,000 pounds
By working in partnership with these organizations, Limited Brands was able to find responsible ways to reuse these items - a true win-win for the company, its partners and the environment!